Some days, I feel like I’ve accomplished something if I attack a closet or scrub a bathroom. Those chores have a certain quality of instant gratification that’s appealing, and they can be done while listening to
podcasts, so I’m willing. Sometimes.
Some days, I feel like I’ve accomplished something if I write a couple strong paragraphs, or finish editing a draft and press “send.” That’s my work and I’m good at it, so it’s satisfying and usually ticks off boxes on the non-existent “to-do” list I should probably keep.
I always feel like I’ve accomplished something when I teach an art class at Lincoln, or when I finish reading a book.
But some days, I need to make things. After Grace (and before her Julie) pointed me towards reverse applique, I gave it a try, using t-shirts and pearl cotton already in the house. I also needed a campaign t-shirt, and such things can’t be postponed, so I applied the technique to the subject at hand; the results are at right above. I wore it the rest of the day. It’s cool if the cut edges fray up a little in the wash, so I’m hoping for that. (This tutorial gives the basic process, but I didn’t use the sewing machine, and I didn’t use pins–duct tape did a great job. I also used a bit of white acrylic paint with my stencil, which is why I have three colors instead of two.)
And I finished and mailed off the mix CD promised to Lisa C. Here’s the cover:
Lisa and I have been swapping mix CDs since 2004(!), and we have a pretty good sense of where our tastes overlap.
The tracklist this time (most of the links lead to YouTube videos; some are just to band websites or Wikipedia pages):
1. Lies (The Pierces)
2. Kissing Like it’s Love (The Voyces)
3. Reno (Finishing School)
4. Nearer than Heaven (The Delays)
5. Cherry Tulips (Headlights)
6. Don’t Lose Yourself (Laura Veirs)
7. I am Constellation (The Kingdom)
8. Secret Service (A Kid Hereafter)
9. I’m Gonna Catch Me a Rat (Fabienne DelSol)
10. Whatever Gets You Through Today (The Radio)
11. Rain Song (PJ Olsson)
12. Sheets (Promise and the Monster)
13. Let’s Talk about Spaceships (Say Hi to your Mom)
14. This is Where We Are (Ravens & Chimes)
15. I Kissed a Girl (Max Vernon)
16. New City Love (Jonas Game)
17. Country Song (James William Hindle)
18. Rose (Geoff Smith)
19. Let Me Get Your Coat (Future Clouds & Radar)
20. Pushback (Static of the Gods)
21. Two Ways (the 1900s)
22. Black Butterfly (Laura Veirs)
Lisa’s CD to ME arrived yesterday–Monday–and I believe she only mailed it Saturday from New Jersey! I listened to it immediately in the minivan, driving to and from swim team practice. Good stuff, Lisa, thanks. Watch your PO Box.
Today I have a raging cold, so I’m going to dose up on decongestants and watch old (recent series) Doctor Who episodes while I doze. Nothing will get accomplished. That’s okay too.